Undergraduate Admissions


How do I know if I am a transfer student?

Transfer students are those who have been out of high school for at least one semester and have completed at least 12 credits hours of college level coursework. High school seniors who have dual credits or AP exam scores are not considered transfer students. Adult transfer students, other than those interested in the College of Nursing, will apply for admissions with Creighton's University College.

I applied to Creighton as a freshman and was accepted. Do I need to reapply as a transfer student?

Even if you have been admitted previously to Creighton as a freshman student, you will need to reapply to Creighton as a transfer student. We will also need your official final high school transcripts (when you previously applied, your high school transcripts probably did not include your last semester of high school) and your recent college transcripts.

Am I considered as a transfer student if I have previously attended Creighton and want to come back?

Yes. Whether or not you have taken college courses since last attending Creighton, you will need to reapply to Creighton as a transfer student. If you have taken college courses elsewhere, you will also need to submit any new or recent transcripts from those institutions with your application. You do not, however, need to submit high school transcripts or the counselor evaluation, as we should still have these credentials on file.

I have been out of high school for 5+ years. Is my admissions experience going to be different?

With the exception of those interested in Nursing, if you have been out of high school for 5 years or more, you will be encouraged to apply to the University College Division of Creighton. University College students earn the same degree as other traditional Creighton students, but are part of a program that is geared toward adult learners. University College students enjoy advantages of a simplified matriculation and registration process and evening hours for academic advising.

For more information, please visit the University College.

How many credit hours can be transferred to Creighton?

No more than 80 transfer credits can be applied towards a degree. Students must earn at least 48 credit hours at Creighton to qualify for a Creighton degree. Based on this requirement, to qualify for a Creighton degree, transfer students should plan to spend at least the last two years of college at Creighton. More hours maybe required depending upon the program of study and the way in which the transfer hours fulfill the University requirements.

Will my courses transfer?

Creighton typically accepts credits from other post-secondary institutions, as long as the course was at an accredited institution and you earned a "C" or better in the course.

Generally, the college you apply to--Arts and Sciences, Heider College of Business, or Nursing--will determine how each specific class transfers. At times the courses may fulfill specific core requirements. Other times, you will earn elective credit for the course. The transfer credit evaluation process occurs during the application review process for the Heider College of Business, and College of Nursing. The College of Arts and Sciences reviews transfer credits after the student is accepted to Creighton.

When is the application deadline for transfer students?

While there is not an official deadline for transfer students to apply for admission to Creighton, the earlier you apply, the more options you will have in your choice of classes and residence halls. We strongly encourage you to complete an admissions application by May 1st if you plan on beginning in the fall semester and December 1st if you plan on enrolling for the spring semester.

What is the application process for transfer students?

To be considered for admission, students transferring from another college or university must submit the following items to the Admissions Office:

  • Completed Application for Undergraduate Admission and Scholarship
  • Official high school transcripts and grading scale (sent directly from your high school)
  • ACT or SAT I Scores (if you have fewer than 24 semester hours of college credit)
  • Official transcripts from each previous college or university attended
  • Counselor Evaluation (if you have been out of high school less than 1 year)
  • Personal Statement
  • Teacher recommendation (Optional)

What is the counselor evaluation?

The counselor evaluation is a form that must be completed by your high school guidance counselor (if you have been out of high school less than 1 year). It assesses you in a variety of areas, such as creative and original thought, academic motivation, leadership, initiative, and many others. This is an important part of the application because it gives us further insight on how successful you will be at Creighton.

I have been out of high school for over one year. Do I have to send my high school transcripts?

Yes. All transcripts from all previously attended institutions, including high school, must be received by the Admissions office to be considered for admission to Creighton University.

My high school guidance counselor no longer works at my high school and/or I have been out of high school for a while. How do I

If you have been out of high school for more than two years, we can waive the guidance counselor evaluation. If you no longer have access to your high school guidance counselor, you may also have a college advisor provide the evaluation.

Do I have to send transcripts if I don't think or want those credits to transfer?

Yes. All transcripts must be received by the Admissions Office to be considered for admission to Creighton.

How long will I have to wait for my admissions decision?

Creighton operates on a rolling admissions basis. Students will be notified of admissions decisions within four to six weeks after completion of the application for admission (including all supplemental materials). The first notifications of admission for Spring 2013 will be sent out after October 1, 2012 and notifications for Fall 2013 will be sent out after November 1, 2012.

Are scholarships and/or financial aid available to transfer students?

Transfer scholarships are largely based on your academic performance at your previous university, but we also take into account high school performance (especially if you have not been in college very long). We automatically review for scholarship at the time you apply for admission. Please keep in mind that transfer scholarships are limited.

To be considered for need-based financial aid, please have your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information sent to Creighton. Based on your FAFSA information, we will evaluate your eligibility for federal grants, loans and work-study. In addition, we will also consider you for Creighton's need-based grants.

Do I have to live on campus?

All freshman and sophomore transfer students from outside the Omaha metro area are required to live on campus. Find out more about our our housing options.

What options do I have for housing?

As a transfer student, you will have the opportunity to live on campus.

Freshmen and sophomores, unless from the Omaha metro area, are required to live on campus. Second semester freshman transfer students will likely be placed with current Creighton freshmen. Freshman residence halls include Deglman, Gallagher, and Kiewit halls, all of which are traditional freshman residence halls. Sophomore transfer students will be placed with current sophomores. Sophomore halls are suite style, and include McGloin, Swanson, and Kenefick Halls.
There are 540 beds available for juniors and seniors in our two apartment complexes, Davis Square and Opus Hall. Should space be available in other halls for juniors and seniors, they will be made available after all freshman and sophomore students are accommodated but we cannot guarantee housing to all those who might wish it after their sophomore year.

For more information on residence life, please visit the Residence Life.

Who is my transfer advisor and what will he or she do?

Your transfer advisor is the person from your respective college who will work with you during registration. He/she also completes your transfer credit evaluation. Transfer advisors will discuss how your courses will fit in with your overall academic plan and advise you on course registration the first time you are selecting courses. Transfer advisors at Creighton are:

How can I become involved on campus?

At Creighton, there are currently almost 250 clubs and organizations to join, as well as additional activities held throughout the year. Plan on attending the Involvement Fair held in the Skutt Student Center each fall to learn about all the different extra-curricular activities Creighton has to offer.

What do I need to do to register for classes?

Once you are admitted, you must complete your class reservation paperwork (included with your admit packet), plus send in a $250 admissions deposit ($350 if you intend on living on campus). After you have deposited and sent in your class reservation forms, you will be able to register for classes, assuming that registration for the intended semester has already begun. This will involve close contact with your Creighton transfer advisor.

What is Ratio Studiorum 105?

Ratio Studiorum 105, or RSP 105, is a course designed especially to help transfer students successfully transition into the culture of collegiate life at Creighton. It "examines key elements of collegiate life, including the meaning and value of a liberal arts education; Creighton?s Jesuit, Catholic history and key Ignatian values, and the vocational aspirations and challenges common to transfer students."